Friday, August 25, 2006

Day 186 - Aqua Tots

Today's first time parenting tip - Get your baby into swimming lessons as early as possible

I'm always shocked and amazed when I meet someone who doesn't know how to swim. I always remember taking swimming lessons and going to the pool and the beach every summer...and I can't imagine not knowing what to do if I fell in the water, so much so that I'd be afraid of it.

Even if you have a trepidation about water, don't pass it on to your child. It's a simple thing you can do to help you child be safe around water. And its a great bonding experience, since you get to do it together. Plus, think of all the fun summers your kid will have playing at the beach and pool with his friends.

You can sign up for a parent-tot swim class at your local Y, and most city community recreation centers have one. If your baby is young, like mine (6 months), you want to make sure you go to an instructed class. I don't think just tossing your baby into the water and letting them figure it out is a good option. My class ran me about 45 dollars, and classes at the Y were 60-100.

It should be a required skill, and its one they'll never forget.

, , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home